Security cameras are a great tool to protect your property. You spend hours selecting the best security camera for your home. However, even the best-quality security camera can’t make your home safe enough if you don’t place them properly. You must position them in strategic locations to keep your home safe. In this article, we will guide you on how to optimize the visibility of your home security camera.
Placing the security cameras
You have probably already decided the areas that you need to cover in the CCTV footage- the front door, garage and driveway, back yard, and others. However, while installing a home security camera, you should keep the following in mind:
- Do not place the camera pointing towards the sun. Direct sunlight on the lens will cause glare and ruin the image quality. Sun changes its position during the day and although the year.
- Make the most out of the natural light. Most security cameras nowadays come with night vision technology. Still, nothing can replace natural light. Your camera will capture perfect videos while it gets the natural light.
- Place the camera at about 8 to 10 feet above the ground. This will provide you a broad coverage while images are clear enough to recognize the faces.
- Hide your cameras if your state regulation allows. Some states make it mandatory to place a CCTV camera where it is visible. If your state does not have any such rules, consider placing your camera in a hidden corner. It is true that a visible security camera deters petty criminals, but they can also attempt to destroy the camera. You can even install a mock camera where it is visible and hide the actual working camera somewhere else.
- While installing an in-door camera, place them just below the ceiling at a corner of the room. It will give you the widest coverage possible.
- Your camera should never violate the privacy of others. Some states have strict rules concerning how and where you can put up a security camera. Even if your state does not have a clear guideline, ethically, you should not install a camera at a place that breaches the privacy of others. Inside your house, you shouldn’t place a camera in the bedrooms or the showers. While installing a camera outdoor, make sure it doesn’t record your neighbors. Sometimes it can be tricky, and you may unknowingly position your security camera at a place where it violates their privacy. So, double-check the feeds before finalizing a position.
Praetector offers security cameras made with advanced technology. Get in touch with us to know more about its features. Praetector cameras are also available on Amazon.com for direct purchase.